In many cultures, grapes have been known as the “Queen of Fruits” for centuries. Grapes come in different varieties and, their flavor, texture and portability are what make this fruit ever popular. There are numerous health benefits that give grapes their “super food” status. Among their many advantages are:
- Grapes have a high content of Resveratrol, an anti-oxidant, which has immense powers in preventing prostate and colon cancers, Alzheimer’s disease, degenerative nerve disease, coronary heart disease and fungal and viral infections.
- The risk of strokes is reduced by Resveratrol as it changes the blood vessels’ molecular mechanisms.
- Red grapes have an abundance of another anti-oxidant known as anthocyanins. These are known for their anti-inflammatory, and anti-allergic properties.
- Rich in minerals, such as manganese, iron and copper, make grapes an essential provider of essential minerals.
- Grapes are also abundant in vitamins A, C and K, Vitamins of the B-complex variety such as riboflavin, pyridoxine and thiamin.
Now for some fun facts about grapes:
- Grapes were brought to America from Spain by explorers about 3 centuries ago.
- Grapes are a type of berry that is quite similar to blueberries.
- There are about 60 species of this wonderful fruit and more than 8000 varieties, mainly from Europe and America.
- Grape seeds are edible and highly rich in anti-oxidants.
- A bottle of wine requires about 2.5 pounds of grapes.
Grapes come in different colors like red, green, black, pink, yellow and purple.
Source: Natural News