- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup regular oats
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup butter, frozen for 30 minutes then grated
- 2 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, diced then frozen for 30 minutes.
- ¼ cup maple syrup, divided
- 1 cup soy milk
1/3 cup cold seltzer or soda water
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add frozen butter and cream cheese. Using a pastry cutter or 2 forks, cut in butter and cream cheese until little pebbles form.
- Add 3 tbsp. syrup, soy milk and seltzer and stir until just combined. Dough will be very sticky.
- Flour a work surface and your hands. Place dough onto flour. Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough and knead dough 10 times.
- Flour your hands again and pat out the dough to 1 inch thick circle.
- Flour a sharp serrated knife and slice dough into 12 wedges.
- Flour a spatula and gently transfer scones to baking sheet.
- Place onto a baking sheet and brush with the remaining 1 tbsp. syrup.
- Bake for 11 to 14 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.
(Source: Adapted from Food Done Light)