(Makes 6 serving)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup dried whole wheat orzo pasta
- 12 ounces turkey or chicken breast tenderloin, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, seeded and cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 19 ounce package frozen/fresh artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat Italian blend cheeses (3 ounces)
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- Lemon zest (to taste)
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley and salt to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart rectangular or square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add turkey or chicken, sweet pepper, and onion to hot skillet; cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Transfer turkey mixture to a large bowl. Stir in drained pasta, the spinach, and artichoke hearts. Add the prepared dressing and cheese, stirring to coat all ingredients. Spoon evenly into the prepared baking dish.
Bake for 15 minutes. Stir casserole and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Lightly coat bread crumbs with cooking spray. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until heated through and the bread crumbs are lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
(Contributed by inChef’s Nutritionist, Chaitali Rede)